Have you ever walked into someone’s home or business and wondered what were they thinking when they decorated their bookshelves? A well-decorated shelf is like the perfect icing on the perfect cake. These are some things we like to consider when decorating our bookshelves:
- Set your shelves at different heights so it doesn’t look too uniform. Remove a shelf entirely if needed.
- Use several pieces of greenery, but be sure not to overuse the greenery (always try and place the greenery on different shelves. If you have a bookshelf with corresponding sides then try not to use greenery on both shelves that are at the same level or on a shelf that is above or below the shelf that has greenery already.
- Use family pictures in frames. 5X7 and 8X10 work the best.
- Use books. I love using old looking leather-bound books the best. I have found these at garage sales and library sales. It is a good idea to not put them all on one shelf. Place them in groups of 3-5 in all different varieties. Stand them on their ends, lay them down etc.
- Use fabric if you can. Choose one with a complimenting color to your décor and scrunch it up under some books or a picture. This adds a perfect pop of color.
- Don’t be afraid to lay things on their sides. You can do this with metal and wooden candle holders, decorative boxes or chests and baskets. This is what we did at one of our model homes in Carrington Lakes.
- If you want a warm and cozy feeling then use warm tones when choosing your décor. If you want a clean look, then use the cool tones with straight edges. Mixing the two can look nice too, but I would be careful when doing so.